Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Top 3 Social Media Wishes


Social media isn't going away - and that's great for individuals seeking entertainment as well as for advertisers seeking proven opportunities to get messages seen by said individuals. Twitter, YouTube and all other social media seem to be continuously refined. I'm not sure if that tweaking is intended to improve user experience or just keep users on their toes (similar to the way graphics on Coke cans are frequently changed).

When it comes to changing social media, I have three tiny wishes that, if granted, would help me enjoy social media even more.

#3 - Resurrect the original GetGlue

After Twitter, GetGlue was one of the first social media apps I added to my phone. In a nutshell, GetGlue allowed users to check in to television shows, songs, movies, video games and books. I am a little wary of interacting online with others but I had no such reservations when it came to sharing reviews and seeking suggestions within GetGlue. Naturally, GetGlue faded at my peak enjoyment level and was purchased by tvtag. It promised to maintain (and improve on) the great features of GetGlue. But that promise was never close to being kept. Eventually, tvtag also bit the dust. I've seen recent reports about another company (Voice of TV) purchasing GetGlue but I'm not holding my breath. I just want the original to come back!

Click here to watch a great review video of the original GetGlue app.


#2 - Adjust my News Feed on the Facebook app

I'm very aware that operator error may be at play here but I can't figure out how to set my News Feed to "Most Recent" in my phone's Facebook app. It seems to default to "Top Stories" which, for me, consists of photos and posts that I've already viewed - days ago. Being able to scroll through my feed in real-time would be much more enjoyable. Please leave any tips that may help in the comments below!

via GIPHY

#1 - A "Back Up" button for Twitter

I get why users are shown the most recent tweet upon opening the Twitter app. After all, Twitter is becoming the go-to news source for a lot of people so the most recent updates need to be shown ASAP. Even though Twitter is the #1 social media outlet in my book, I don't constantly check my timeline. So when I go a few hours between viewings, I feel like I've missed out when someone's tweet from a few seconds ago is the first tweet in my timeline. More often than not, I scroll my timeline back an hour or so just to make sure I haven't missed the beginning of a funny exchange between my favorite athletes or earlier posts about a late-breaking event. Having a button that would automatically back your timeline up an hour would be all kinds of awesome, don't you think?
{Top Image: Courtesy}

No comments:

Post a Comment